Starting System Yamaha 9.9HP
The following starting system procedures are for the Yamaha 9.9HP outboard 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 and 2001 models. Procedures might also apply to the 2002 2003 2004 2005 and 2006 models. However, a supplement manual may be required. Regardless, always use a repair manual when maintaining or repairing your outboard motor. Additional service information, diagrams and illustrations are provided.
STARTING SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAM
The following components are directly related to the starting system:
- 10P coupler
- 7P coupler
- Main switch
- Starter motor
- Starter switch
- Starter relay
- Neutral switch
NOTE: Depending on your exact model (remote control model or non remote control model), exact instances my differ.
- Inspect the fuse and make sure the fuse is not blown, replace as needed. The fuse rating is 12 Volt - 20 A
- Inspect the continuity of the wiring harness, if discontinuity, replace.
- Inspect the wiring connection for insufficient continuity. Correct or replace as needed.
ENGINE STOP SWITCH
- See your repair manual (Ignition System) for further data.
- See your repair manual (Ignition System for additional information.
- Inspect the continuity of the starter switch. If not within factory specifications, replace the starter switch. See your repair manual for checking procedures.
- Inspect the neutral switch for proper continuity, replace the switch if not within specs. Refer to your repair manual for checking procedures. You will need a digital gauge for this process.
- Check the brown lead terminal and the black lead terminal. Check to see if there are loose connections, tighten if necessary.
- Inspect the relay operation, if the relay is not functioning properly, replace the relay.
- Attach the digital tester between the terminals starter relay as seen in your repair manual.
- Attach a 12 volt battery.
Brown lead is positive
Black lead is negative
- Make sure there is proper continuity between the starter relay terminals.